Grosvenor has announced that former Mayfair church St Mark’s is to be reopened to the public as a retail and dining destination, following a £5 million restoration.
The Grade 1 listed property was built in 1822 and formerly known as the ‘American Church’ because of its proximity to the American embassy. Apparently, President Eisenhower and Eleanor Roosevelt both attended services there. The church’s congregation dwindled after the Second World War, leading to the church’s deconsecration in 1974.
The operator of the retail and dining space has yet to be announced but Grosvenor has revealed that a free to use community space will be available in the crypt for use by local residents and groups from summer 2018.
We look forward to hearing more in due course…
Image: courtesy of Grosvenor